In 1929 a few Christians who moved their membership from First Baptist Church of Richmond Park began holding Worship service in a wood framed cottage where our current fellowship hall is located. The land was purchased and our first sanctuary was built in 1930 where Reverend Henry Odell served as the first pastor of St. Mary Baptist Church until he passed away in 1945. In 1946 Reverend Willie L. Square was elected as the second pastor. The church was remolded to a brick structure with a kitchen and restrooms. Reverend Square later passed away in 1959. In 1960, Reverend Norwood T. Calvin was elected the third pastor. Extensive renovation was done to the sanctuary, that included a dining room, choir stand, indoor baptismal pool, flooring, paneling and six classrooms. In 1984 the new sanctuary was built with a 700 seating capacity. Additional property was purchased and the educational wing was built and dedicated in 1997. Reverend Calvin death was in 1998. In 2000 Reverend Conway L.. Knighton was elected as the fourth and present pastor. The mortgage was burned on October 5, 2000 during the 70th year Church Anniversary celebration. Additional property was purchased for paved parking lots.
We are making plans to renovate our former church build which not our Fellowship Hall into an updated Fellowship hall. Allowing members to host events.
Visit the Louisiana website for current information on COVID-19, testing sites and vaccination sites.
Saint Mary Baptist Church